Controls and Automation (PLC) Engineer I
Proserv is a controls technology company. Our aim is to offer cutting-edge, disruptive solutions to clients right across the energy sector enabling them to enhance the reliability of critical equipment, extend the life and value of their assets, and improve their operational efficiencies.
Our team not only has the talent and technological expertise to deliver these transformative goals, but day-to-day, we hold to a clear set of Proserv values that underpins everything we do right around the globe.
So, if you believe you not only have the right skills and know-how for this role, but you are a team player; keen to do things the right way; possess an inquisitive and creative mind; prioritise delivering top-quality service and you enjoy helping and collaborating with colleagues or clients – then we really want to hear from you.
What You Need to Know
Reporting directly to the Software & Electrical Engineering Supervisor, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of electrical/electronic automation systems including software SCADA and PLC/RTU controller software solutions for the Subsea Control System (SCS).
Further, you will guide and facilitate the engineering team responsible for the design of electrical and software portions of the Subsea Control System (SCS) to include but not limited to: Master Control Stations (MCS), Electrical Power Units (EPU), modem racks, Hydraulic Power Units (HPU), and subsea data acquisition systems for offshore facilities; as well as supporting Surface Production Equipment (SPE) and Drilling Control System (DCS) projects.
Key Accountabilities (includes, but not limited to the following)
- Ensure projects are completed to client requirements, on time, within budget, and within company and industry standards.
- Create project documentation and drawings.
- Manage the customer interface to maintain a good working relationship.
- Advise the Electrical and Software Engineering Supervisor of any potential areas of risk that could result in an overrun of material costs or labor hours.
- Program the Human Machine Interface (HMI), interlocks, shutdowns and various process control in PC/PLC applications.
- Ensure that all project documentation has been produced in accordance with the agreed project Master Document List (MDL).
- Create and implement project software development and testing.
- Analyze product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine designs which can be produced by existing manufacturing or processing facilities and methods.
- Direct and coordinate testing of prototype or system software configurations.
- Compile and analyze operational, test, and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified equipment or product.
- Analyze test data and reports to determine if test design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Confer with other engineering personnel and prepare design modifications as required.
- Evaluate engineering test results for possible application to development of systems or other uses.
- Evaluate field installations and recommend design modifications to eliminate system malfunctions.
- Prepare or direct preparation of product or system layout and process diagrams.
- Ensure work assignments are carried out to the highest quality level.
- Participate/assist in equipment testing.
- Work with suppliers to create part specifications.
- Propose best practice and technical solutions.
- Review work output of others.
- Strong contributor to the design/project team.
- Participates in development and delivery of technical strategy and planning.
- Conduct design reviews with multiple disciplines to ensure projects conform to client requirements.
- Travel on short notice may be required to visit domestic and international customer sites as well as offshore facilities from time to time.
- Know and understand Proserv’s Quality Policy and comply with all requirements of the Quality Systems Manual, Operating and Technical Procedures and Workplace Instructions.
- Any other delegated responsibilities as instructed by Line Management within the timeframe specified in a safe and efficient manner to meet business requirements, provided the instruction is reasonable and you are capable and deemed competent to fulfill these.
- Document Control
- Production Assembly (Assembly and Test, Goods In and Inspection, etc.)
- Project Management
- Sales/Business Development
- Quality Department
- Service Department
- Procurement Department/Supply Chain
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Engineering Technology, or a related field.
Skills & Experience
- Electrical instrumentation and software (applications level) engineering background.
- 1 – 2 years Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and Human Machine Interface (HMI) programming experience.
- Offshore (topside/subsea) oil and gas experience preferred.
- Proven track record in an automation design/build related environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of software development practices including documentation, equipment SCADA/PLC/RTU programming/design, and electrical/electronic equipment design and application.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of automation systems (including communication equipment selection/installation); electrical system design (including motor control and low voltage instrument panels); Allen-Bradley, Citect and Wonderware software packages; C, C++, VB programming and web design tools; and design/manufacture of Safety Integrity Level (SIL) rated equipment.
- Aptitude for electro/mechanical systems and equipment.
- Must have the ability to obtain Offshore Water Survival certification (either HUET or BOSIET) and Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
- Commercial Awareness: Decision making, effective negotiation, and understanding of business objectives.
- Effective Engineering Procurement: Effective vendor selection/management and timely execution of Purchase Orders (PO) to support assigned projects.
- Initiative: Strategic thinking and problem solving.
- Multi-tasking: Must be able to coordinate several tasks at the same time.
- Workplace Flexibility: Willingness to travel at short notice and for extended periods of time, including offshore and/or out-of-state locations for up to three (3) weeks at a time.
- One (1) to two (2) years Subsea Control System (SCS) experience.
- Advanced knowledge of upstream oil and gas instrumentation and surveillance systems.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical power and signal distribution.
- Advanced knowledge of Modbus and Ethernet TCP protocols.
- Capable of traveling to various facilities around the regions, as well as international locations for meetings or training as necessary and directed.
- Natural or corrected vision to read printed materials and computer screen.
- Natural or corrected hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
- Capable of properly using standard office equipment, including telephone, and a computer with keyboard.
- Ability to wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Includes hard hat, steel toed shoes, safety glasses, etc.
- Work will mostly be performed indoors in a controlled environment. Some exposure to the manufacturing and shop areas, which are open, and not air conditioned.
How To Apply
If you are interested in this position, please:
- Complete the personal details contained in the application below then click Apply.
- Remember to attach your resume/CV, this is a mandatory requirement of the application process.
- Attach any other documentation/covering letter you think may assist with your application – please note that it is preferable that certificates, qualifications etc. are not sent at this stage.
Please note that Proserv assess all applications based on merit. Should a suitable candidate be identified, Proserv reserves the right to close the recruitment process prior to the advertised date. Only those candidates considered to be suitable will be invited to interview.
APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT
This Company is an equal opportunity employer. Proserv Operations, LLC. or its’ entities, does not discriminate in hiring because of an individual’s race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, or disability. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 prohibits discrimination on the basis of age for persons 40 or more years of age. Should you become an employee of Proserv Operations, LLC, this application will become part of your permanent record. If necessary, you may use additional sheets of paper. Please do not include any information regarding race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, or disability.